Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 1:42 AM
Subject: tis the season
Subject: tis the season
Meine Familie,
Alright, So taking care of business first! Mom asked for the Begemann's address (the ones with the postcards) it is
Frieden str. 22
24148 Kiel
Deutschland (Germany)
It is ok if you write English on it...they understand it sometimes and they have a dictionary as well. But they would really like that. (If anyone else would like to send them a postcard, I am SURE they would love it!)
As far as Christmas goes. If I were to do skype it would have to be on Christmas Eve because the people we are spending Christmas day with do not have skype. If we were to talk on the phone I could do Christmas and you would have to call me. The options are at like 1:00 p.m. my time ( not sure what the hour difference is) and I would be at this member's home or later that evening....6:00 p.m my time maybe at this members home or maybe at the church. . . or 7:00 p.m my time. Or Monday can also be an option any time of day I believe at the church. I do not have the phone numbers with me, but next week I will. If you do want to skype I will need your skype name. We will just need to talk to the member and I do not know what time we are going to be at her place yet and it will be on Christmas Eve. So options....Christmas Eve=Skype, Christmas Day= Phone, or Dec 26= Phone. Let me know next week and I will give you the time that we can for sure talk.
Just thought I would answer some questions Mom had about Christmas time here in Germany. I honestly do not know or hear anything about the pickle tradition. It if is a German tradition, it might be more of southern Germany, not up here, but I can still ask. St Nicks day is on December 6th and it is a tradition where the night before the children leave their shoes out and in the morning they have toys or candy in their shoes from St. Nick. So yeah, those are some of the tradition that you asked about...they are really fun.
Alright, So taking care of business first! Mom asked for the Begemann's address (the ones with the postcards) it is
Frieden str. 22
24148 Kiel
Deutschland (Germany)
It is ok if you write English on it...they understand it sometimes and they have a dictionary as well. But they would really like that. (If anyone else would like to send them a postcard, I am SURE they would love it!)
As far as Christmas goes. If I were to do skype it would have to be on Christmas Eve because the people we are spending Christmas day with do not have skype. If we were to talk on the phone I could do Christmas and you would have to call me. The options are at like 1:00 p.m. my time ( not sure what the hour difference is) and I would be at this member's home or later that evening....6:00 p.m my time maybe at this members home or maybe at the church. . . or 7:00 p.m my time. Or Monday can also be an option any time of day I believe at the church. I do not have the phone numbers with me, but next week I will. If you do want to skype I will need your skype name. We will just need to talk to the member and I do not know what time we are going to be at her place yet and it will be on Christmas Eve. So options....Christmas Eve=Skype, Christmas Day= Phone, or Dec 26= Phone. Let me know next week and I will give you the time that we can for sure talk.
Just thought I would answer some questions Mom had about Christmas time here in Germany. I honestly do not know or hear anything about the pickle tradition. It if is a German tradition, it might be more of southern Germany, not up here, but I can still ask. St Nicks day is on December 6th and it is a tradition where the night before the children leave their shoes out and in the morning they have toys or candy in their shoes from St. Nick. So yeah, those are some of the tradition that you asked about...they are really fun.
Speaking of Christmas, I will be pulling out some money today because we are going to Dresden for p-day to the Christmas Market. The market there is the oldest one in Germany and one of the biggest. Christmas was pratically "invented" there. So I am excited!! Also, Christmas Zone Conference is this Friday and we are going to Leipzig for it. . . I will not get to see the Larkins or Sister Rasmussen because they are flying home tomorrow. But I did talk to Sister Rasmussen on the phone last night and I found out that Sister McCall is engaged! Crazy.
Now onto this week...My goodness, I feel like this past week happened like a month ago. Every thing is awesome. On Monday we met with Arinze, he is the guy from Africa that just showed up to church one day. He is very interested in our church and we gave him the Book of Mormon. I look forward to keep seeing him!
On Tuesday we had District Meeting in Cottbus and it was fun...we recited our Purpose and D&C 4 while playing around the world ping-pong. It was fun and then we went out and did District Finding on the streets and ended up making four new appointments that are all scheduled for this week. It is going to be great! We also met with Frau Baruk that day. She is doing really good. Still shooting for Easter day for her baptism and she came to the Relief Society Christmas Party this week and to Church. This week we have been giving out the Joy to the World DVD and watching it with people. It is a really good film and I recommend it to watch with non-member friends. That is what we have been doing this whole week with members, giving them the DVD and inviting them to think of a friend they can share it with. It talks about the birth of Christ...the story in the bible and book of mormon and then a little about Joseph Smith..really good film.
We than met with Chrys on Tuesday he is also from Africa, but we are just teaching him German. It is fun because as I teach him German I learn it as well..Love it.
On Wednesday, we went and visited Sch. Schmidt in the Senior/Nursing home. She is really funny. She has a roommate who is like 94 and Sch. Schmidt always ask us if we have a baptism yet...and we say every time...we are working on it. And then she turns to her roommate and says...time is a ticking...you are losing your chance to be baptized on the earth. Oh, Sch. Schmidt.
We later met with a new guy named Bodo. He is very interesting and talks alot. We did not even get the chance to really talk about the church, but we enjoyed some cake and tea. But he is not one that we will visit as often, but every once in awhile.
That day was so cold, we went to do some doors and we were freezing...we were like, ok if we make out an appointment we can go inside and work on the area book and do german study...a few minutes later we made an appointment and then went home and enjoyed the warmth. It has not yet snowed...everyone is surprised by that, but I am perfectly happy with it. Apparently Kiel and the most northern part of Germany has snow right now, but not us...praying to stay that way.
Now onto this week...My goodness, I feel like this past week happened like a month ago. Every thing is awesome. On Monday we met with Arinze, he is the guy from Africa that just showed up to church one day. He is very interested in our church and we gave him the Book of Mormon. I look forward to keep seeing him!
On Tuesday we had District Meeting in Cottbus and it was fun...we recited our Purpose and D&C 4 while playing around the world ping-pong. It was fun and then we went out and did District Finding on the streets and ended up making four new appointments that are all scheduled for this week. It is going to be great! We also met with Frau Baruk that day. She is doing really good. Still shooting for Easter day for her baptism and she came to the Relief Society Christmas Party this week and to Church. This week we have been giving out the Joy to the World DVD and watching it with people. It is a really good film and I recommend it to watch with non-member friends. That is what we have been doing this whole week with members, giving them the DVD and inviting them to think of a friend they can share it with. It talks about the birth of Christ...the story in the bible and book of mormon and then a little about Joseph Smith..really good film.
We than met with Chrys on Tuesday he is also from Africa, but we are just teaching him German. It is fun because as I teach him German I learn it as well..Love it.
On Wednesday, we went and visited Sch. Schmidt in the Senior/Nursing home. She is really funny. She has a roommate who is like 94 and Sch. Schmidt always ask us if we have a baptism yet...and we say every time...we are working on it. And then she turns to her roommate and says...time is a ticking...you are losing your chance to be baptized on the earth. Oh, Sch. Schmidt.
We later met with a new guy named Bodo. He is very interesting and talks alot. We did not even get the chance to really talk about the church, but we enjoyed some cake and tea. But he is not one that we will visit as often, but every once in awhile.
That day was so cold, we went to do some doors and we were freezing...we were like, ok if we make out an appointment we can go inside and work on the area book and do german study...a few minutes later we made an appointment and then went home and enjoyed the warmth. It has not yet snowed...everyone is surprised by that, but I am perfectly happy with it. Apparently Kiel and the most northern part of Germany has snow right now, but not us...praying to stay that way.
Thursday was a very interesting day. We had an appointment with Christine and taught her the word of wisdom. We are probably going to make this coming week's appointment the last one, because she does not make any progress and does not read. She lies to us everytime we see her and always changes her story. . . and flat out won't stop smoking. So we are thinking about letting her have a break from us and us a break from her. We will see how this week goes. We then met with Sch. Lehman afterwards and had lunch with her and she is the Relief Society president and she is wanting us to come over next Monday night and watch the Nativity movie and she is going to invite a friend over as well. We are really excited, and I never have seen the nativity movie, I remember when it was in theatres though.
Later we had an appointment with a kid named David, who is still in high school. He met the Sister Missionaries in the summer. We went by his home and his Mom answered and sent us away. We were walking away when some boy started chasing us down the street...yelling, "You are from the Church of Christ, right?" The boy was David and we went back in his home with him and his mom came in and out of the room during our appointment. It was interesting and the kid smokes. He is interested in us keep meeting though. So we will see what happens.
Week almost done...Friday was awesome. We met with Anne, who I met for the first time, but apparently she went back to visit her family in Hungary for awhile. She is really cool and golden, is married and has two little kids and is here in Germany for the next 18 months for her husband's work. She does not want to go back to Hungary though because it is not a religious place. She totally believes our message and wants an eternal family so bad. Her husband is atheist. She wants to get the Family A Proclamation to the World in Hungarian and frame it and hang it on the wall. She has a book of Mormon that her Grandmother gave her. And I look forward to continue meeting with her.
After her we had a lady named Monica. Monica is atheist and is best friends with a couple members in our ward. She invited us over for lunch with one of the members and she wants to learn more...we did not have that much time, but we gave her the Joy to the World DVD. We thought the time went really well and are so excited to visit again. But than on Sunday the member who was at the appointment with us came up to me and said, "After you left Monica showed me a document she found that was anti mormon stuff and said that we were a sect and that we do weird stuff with tithing and money and we have many wives." The member is concerned and told us we need to clear that up next time" I was a little annoyed because this member is best friends with Monica and could not clear it up herself. But we will see what happens.
Later on we had the Relief Society Christmas Party and it was very nice. We than met with this guy Henry who is from Africa and interested in our Church, but wants to read the book of mormon on his on right now and than call us. We will see what happens.
Saturday...seems forever ago, but we met with Talent, who is also from Africa and it went really good. We reviewed the Plan of Salvation and he had some questions that Elders had never given him an answer too and he is happy that we are actually giving him answers. He is really golden and so ready to hear the gospel. We then met with Jennyl, this guy from the Phillipines. He is cool, and thinks it is important for us to find out for ourselves if something is true. And then of course, later we met with Chi-yu. I got him his answer about what is in Black tea and why we should not drink it, but he is still not fully convinced. . . too big of a tradition for him.
Sunday was really good. In Sacrament this guy from Russia showed up...he is an older man...probably in his 70s. The problem is that he does not speak English or German. He only speaks Russian. But he showed up for all three hours without knowing what was being said. After the meeting...he showed us a piece of paper and kept speaking Russian to us. On the paper it was written in German that somebody else wrote that said, "The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ" We were able to understand that he wanted the book of mormon in Russian and he pulled out his visa to show us his address and name. We are going to bring him the book this week, but it will be interesting since we can not communicate with him and nobody in our ward speaks Russian. But we are going to watch the Restoration in Russian with him. It is kind of cool though that he showed up like that.
Later we had an appointment with a kid named David, who is still in high school. He met the Sister Missionaries in the summer. We went by his home and his Mom answered and sent us away. We were walking away when some boy started chasing us down the street...yelling, "You are from the Church of Christ, right?" The boy was David and we went back in his home with him and his mom came in and out of the room during our appointment. It was interesting and the kid smokes. He is interested in us keep meeting though. So we will see what happens.
Week almost done...Friday was awesome. We met with Anne, who I met for the first time, but apparently she went back to visit her family in Hungary for awhile. She is really cool and golden, is married and has two little kids and is here in Germany for the next 18 months for her husband's work. She does not want to go back to Hungary though because it is not a religious place. She totally believes our message and wants an eternal family so bad. Her husband is atheist. She wants to get the Family A Proclamation to the World in Hungarian and frame it and hang it on the wall. She has a book of Mormon that her Grandmother gave her. And I look forward to continue meeting with her.
After her we had a lady named Monica. Monica is atheist and is best friends with a couple members in our ward. She invited us over for lunch with one of the members and she wants to learn more...we did not have that much time, but we gave her the Joy to the World DVD. We thought the time went really well and are so excited to visit again. But than on Sunday the member who was at the appointment with us came up to me and said, "After you left Monica showed me a document she found that was anti mormon stuff and said that we were a sect and that we do weird stuff with tithing and money and we have many wives." The member is concerned and told us we need to clear that up next time" I was a little annoyed because this member is best friends with Monica and could not clear it up herself. But we will see what happens.
Later on we had the Relief Society Christmas Party and it was very nice. We than met with this guy Henry who is from Africa and interested in our Church, but wants to read the book of mormon on his on right now and than call us. We will see what happens.
Saturday...seems forever ago, but we met with Talent, who is also from Africa and it went really good. We reviewed the Plan of Salvation and he had some questions that Elders had never given him an answer too and he is happy that we are actually giving him answers. He is really golden and so ready to hear the gospel. We then met with Jennyl, this guy from the Phillipines. He is cool, and thinks it is important for us to find out for ourselves if something is true. And then of course, later we met with Chi-yu. I got him his answer about what is in Black tea and why we should not drink it, but he is still not fully convinced. . . too big of a tradition for him.
Sunday was really good. In Sacrament this guy from Russia showed up...he is an older man...probably in his 70s. The problem is that he does not speak English or German. He only speaks Russian. But he showed up for all three hours without knowing what was being said. After the meeting...he showed us a piece of paper and kept speaking Russian to us. On the paper it was written in German that somebody else wrote that said, "The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ" We were able to understand that he wanted the book of mormon in Russian and he pulled out his visa to show us his address and name. We are going to bring him the book this week, but it will be interesting since we can not communicate with him and nobody in our ward speaks Russian. But we are going to watch the Restoration in Russian with him. It is kind of cool though that he showed up like that.
This was a crazy busy week...and this coming one is as well..this week for the Advent of Miracles we are to invite all investigators to be baptized...that means we are inviting 19 people..or more to be baptized this week...please pray that all goes well.
Any ways, I need to go, but I love y'all.
Sister Britt
Any ways, I need to go, but I love y'all.
Sister Britt
No comments:
Post a Comment