Monday, September 5, 2011

A New Start ... Kiel

Sent: Monday, September 5, 2011 5:35 AM
Subject: A New Start

Burcan, me, Sister Rasmussen (in Leipzig)
Leaving Leipzig for Kiel
Meine Familie,

Ahhh... I am in Kiel!!!
So this week seemed like well...longer than a week. Monday was my last day in Leipzig and I would say that it was pretty hard to say goodbye. We went to FHE that night and there I had to say goodbye to some great friends of mine. Saying goodbye to Bürcan was probably the hardest because he started crying a little bit.  It made my eyes tear up a little bit as well. It was really cute because he kept telling me, "Remember September 25th, I am getting baptized"  I told him I will try my very best to come back and be there for his baptism.  After all, Micheal and Maik should also be getting baptized on that day.

Tuesday my train left to go to Kiel and it was about a four to five hour train ride and I needed to also switch trains in Hamburg.  Well, it turned out that Sister Bush, my new companion, also needed to switch trains in Hamburg and so we ended up riding to Kiel, the rest of the way, together. Sister Bush is from Maryland, although she grew up in Colorado.  She has been out on her mission for about 6 months. Anyways, we got to Kiel and the zone leaders and the senior couple were there waiting for us. The Zone leaders drove our stuff to the apartment and we went and got something to eat with Sister and Elder Marks, the senior couple. It was great.  There are four elders here in Kiel and a Senior couple. They have all been so helpful to us and are really grateful for us. The Elders even gave us some contact sheets and old investigators and stuff to help us get started with our new program here in Kiel.  We got a brand new phone and so we do not have any numbers really, but we are getting those as well. 


We met Bishop Haak that night and he was helpful in telling us what less active women that we could go by and visit.  He is such an awesome Bishop.  The west is somewhat different from the east in ways such as, there are no DDR buildings, people are more friendly and open to talking to you on the street, and everyone seems to belong to a church, whereas in the east everyone was like atheist. In the ward everyone wants to be involved with the missionary work and come do stuff with us, not to menition that this ward is so excited to be getting sisters.
This week we were able to visit some people. Anne is this young single adult that is so fun and great to be around.  She made us lunch on Wednesday and helped us learn the city a little bit.  I love it.  She is a cute girl and was found by sisters two years ago.  That is the last time this ward had sisters. Dorothea is a member who was baptized in May. The Elders gave her to us to go visit. She is so cute and excited for the gospel and she even went to the temple for the first time on Saturday, her birthday, in Denmark. Schwester Bourwieg is this older lady in the ward.. She fed us lunch on Friday and served a mission years ago at the Frankfurt Temple.  She is so sweet.  I am just so excited to keep working with these members. Bruder Zickler is our Ward mission leader.  He and his wife are so awesome and fun. We went over to their place Friday night and they fed us and helped us know where to go and who we should visit. The Goldmund family is a family we ate lunch with on Saturday (I have never had so many eating appointments in a week, my goodness). This family is awesome. Schwester Goldmund is from Salt Lake and her husband is from Kiel and they have a 15 and 18 year old boys. They are fun and made us chicken pot pie and carrot cake.  Wow, I have not had that since before my mission..American food! lol.

We did find some cool people this week too. One was Sandra and Martin. Sandra was actually a referal to me from Schwester Beyrich in Leipzig. Sandra is her little sister and they are not members. We went by and they let us in and we have a return appointment to bring them the Book of Mormon. I am so excited. Frau Butzlaff was an appointment from the elders. She is a really old lady and loves to talk. She had a Book of Mormon that she was given a long time ago and so we tried teaching a first...but she is the best distracter ever.  We kept bringing the topic back to the restoration. lol. Such a sweet lady though. And then we found this guy Ben on the street and had an appointment with him. He has so many questions.  He has read the bible like 6 times and says he will read the Book of Mormon.  He's not really sure if God is there though, but I am excited to keep meeting with him and help him progress.

We did have church on Sunday and everyone is so excited to have 8 missionaries in the ward... and so many more are excited that sisters are in the ward. We met so many people, so I cannot remember everyone's name, but I will get it down. There are a ton of young people in the ward and I had so many children running up to me and wanting me to play with them. After church all of us missionaries went over to the Timm family's home for lunch.  It was alot of fun and they have a little girl who is about 6 or 7 and the oldest of four boys. Her name is Lani and she reminds me of me...lol. She was totally how I was when I was little and she really wants to be a sister missionary. Love her. But yeah. This week has been crazy as Sister Bush and I were just trying to get things oraganized and get to know the area. We will see what this week brings and I am so excited to get this program going in Kiel. love it.

But yeah...I love y'all so much and hope all is well!!!

Sister Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment